Engineering is about solutions
Do you enjoy taking things apart and figuring out how they work? Does the idea of creating new ways of doing things intrigue you? Engineering may be your field. This CTE education program trains and certifies students in Computer Numerical Controls (CNC) and robotic programming and repair. Students operate CNC six-axis lathes and program FANUC industrial robots in laboratory sessions. Students will also be introduced to microprocessors, microcontrollers, and the theory and design of logic circuits.
“I’m reminded that the basics are really essential in learning so I can move on to the harder stuff.”
-Christopher B., Prescott High School
Pre-Engineering Program Information
Yavapai College CTEC
220 Ruger Rd.
Prescott, AZ 86301
LENGTH OF PROGRAM:
GRADE LEVEL REQUIREMENT:
Junior – Senior
- Algebra II or concurrent enrollment
- 3.0 GPA for Math and Science Courses
- Pre-Engineering Application – a supplemental application that is required in addition to a complete registration packet
- During year two of program, student needs to be concurrently enrolled or have taken Math 187 – Pre Calculus at Yavapai College (or course equivalent)
MIJTED Polo Shirt
Monday – Thursday
1:15 – 3:45pm plus 1 hour online
Up to 5 High School credit over two years, Up to 24 Yavapai College in two years
**Yavapai College credits lead directly to Associates of Applied Science degree in Pre-Engineering
HAAS Certification, including:
- CNC Operator Class
- CNC Tool Setter
ISCET (International Society of Certified Electrical Technicians) which includes: Digital Circuitry (optional; cost is $75)
- Enables students to make career decisions consistent with their aptitudes, interests, abilities, and academic achievement.
- Provides a program of instruction that prepares students for post-secondary education and/or for employment.
- Transferable credits to College or University.
- Industry skills development experience and certification to take straight to workforce.
Engineering Career Opportunities
Civil Engineer ($50 – 119,000)
Aerospace Engineer ($60 – 143,000)
Agricultural Engineer ($42 – 115,000)
Biomedical Engineer ($49 – 126,000)
Mechanical Engineer ($50 – 119,000)
Salaries will range based on hiring entity, location, and years of experience.
Pre-Engineering Course Sequence
(Central Campus Program)
CNC 101 – YC Credits:2
Intro to CNC Machine Operator
ELT 183 – YC Credits:3
ELT 130 – YC Credits:3
Intro to Robotics
CNC 102 – YC Credits:2
CNC Machine Set Up
YEAR 1 CREDIT TOTALS:
High school: 3
Yavapai College: 10
CNC 201 – YC Credits:3
Computer Aided Programming
Pre-Calc 187 – YC Credits:5
Pre-Calculus ( at Home School)(Not JTED Funded)
MET 100 – YC Credits:4
Intro to Manufacturing Technology
EGR 102 – YC Credits:3
Intro to Engineering
CNC 202 – YC Credits:4
YEAR 2 CREDIT TOTALS
High school: 3
Yavapai College: 19
*All program credits are awarded at the end of each year. If a student leaves a program early he or she may not be awarded credit.
Interested in Learning More?
For More Information about the Program or How to Apply